Why Engage Us?
Let us ask this, do you think decisions made about and for us should include our input? We do! We are living, learning and growing here. Let us have a space to discuss issues affecting us in our community. Allow us to be seen, to assist and support, and to learn to be great leaders.
About the Central Woodward Youth Council
If you are a youth ages 12-18, we invite you to join a group of young community influencers.
WHAT IS CWCYC? THE Central Woodward Community Partnership YOUTH COUNCIL (CWCYC) is here to engage and unite youth in the Central Woodward, Piety Hill, Northend and other Detroit communities. The CWC Youth Council partners with and serves various community organizations. It promotes and recognizes youth in action in the community, fosters volunteer service opportunities for and by youth, and encourages conversations regarding services, programs and activities that affect and/or are for youth.
REQUIREMENTS & EXPECTATIONS CWCYC members must adhere to the following to maintain their good standing on the Council: Be enrolled in a Detroit high school or homeschool equivalent Commit and invest fully to Detroit Youth Council membership responsibilities and opportunities. Volunteer monthly with the hosted project or another project of your choosing. Actively participate in one of CWCYC’s teams for service and planning.
Get Leadership experience and represent CWCYC to your peers and in the community as a Central Woodward Community Partnership Youth Council Team member during the 2022-23 School Year.
Leadership Team Applications are accepted year round, but you must complete the eligibility participation requirements before applying. See below!
- Commitment to build safe spaces, improve literacy, bridge generational gaps, and support efforts for the beautification and unity of Detroit
- A Commitment of 2-4 hours/month of team and Council event participation
- Attend 1-2 Online or In-Person Leadership Council Meetings per month Sept-June (1 hour each and hybrid format)
- Participate in planning and leadership for CWCYC created events and experiences, including:
- Producing monthly ENGAGE series events on topics that matter to teens
- Advising on a promoted list of teen-friendly volunteer opportunities
- Advocating for Youth Engagement through regular survey polls and reporting
- Must be enrolled in a Detroit High School or Home School Equivalent
- CWCYC Youth Leadership Summit (beginning in 2023-24 School Year)
- Either verified attendance of 4-hours of Community Volunteer Service
- Verified attendance at 1 (one) CWCP activity or event (held monthly).
- Submit a completed CWCYC Member Application, which will be accepted after June 15th, 2022 a new session will begin Fall 2022.